Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Favorite Books of 2011

Jane Austen
Collection of 7 Jane Austen novels: Last year for Christmas, my mom got me this beautifully bound copy of all 7 of Austen's novels. One very little-known little novel by her is Lady Susan, which my mom and I read on a long car trip once. It was hilarious! I recommend it. So far I've only read 3 other ones (Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Sense and Sensibility) and I love them all.


Les Miserables: Everyone picked up this book and weighed it in their hands like a brick. "It's huge!" It is really long, and sometimes boring (Victor Hugo, did you really have to give such a long discourse on the history and layout of the sewers? Really?), but it's absolutely so worth it. If you've never read it, read it. Even if you need to skim/skip some parts (which I confess to doing occasionally when I was running out of motivation). The journey is an amazing one and once you finish it, you feel like the characters and what they went through are a part of you. There's really something to be said for reading an extremely long novel, especially one so powerful and moving.





The Dream Giver: This is a modern classic, an easy, short read that is definitely worth reading. It's a simple parable that is an excellent metaphor for finding your life's mission. And it's so inspiring!

The Scarlet Pimpernel: I LOVE this book! It's the best adventure book I've ever read, and I love the characters, voice, and style. It's way more easy and fun than it looks!

Gone With the Wind: This is truly an amazing piece of literature. So meaningful, and never boring! This is another book where you take a journey with the characters, you get to see years of their lives and what they make of those years, and what kind of character they really have. It's also a really fascinating historical perspective on the Civil War and the years following. You read Uncle Tom's Cabin and tons of other Civil War time period literature and get the idea of the evil, cruel slaveowners. But this account is showing the difficulty that some Southern families had in leaving their slaves, and the difficulty the slaves had in leaving them, and some of the atrocities of the Northerners that are never mentioned in the history books. I love this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment