Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Changes in Life...but Not the Blog

Seeing as it's been exactly a month since I last posted, I decided to get back here and write again.

For once, I actually have a really good reason to have temporarily ignored my blog. I got engaged. And since then, my life has been rather a whirlwind.

I started thinking about the way I've been using my blog. Since I've gotten engaged, I've gotten way more into stuff I wasn't quite so interested in before. I always liked cooking, but now I cook four times a week, at least. I clean a lot more. And I'm actually interested in all those little crafty projects and little fix-it tips. I have no problem with this. I'm glad I'm starting to become genuinely interested in all the domestic things I never really cared about before. But as soon as I thought about that with reference to my blogging, I had to cringe. Is that what would happen to my blog? It would be lost in the blogosphere as just another domestic "mommy blog," with endlessly cheery anecdotes about kids, homemade decorations, and "delicious yet oh-so-easy and only 60 calories!" recipes? Would I have to resign myself to more than three exclamation points per post? (Or whatever the rule is.) Would my blog--without me even bearing children--end up just another...mommy blog?! (There goes my first allotted exclamation point.)



Well, friends, the answer is no. No, this blog shall remain the same. Of course, it will continue its evolution as I discover myself as a writer, but the mommy blogs will not penetrate my writing. (No offense to the so-called "mommy bloggers" out there--I actually love mommy blogs, I just don't want MY blog to be one of them.)

Anyway. That might sound self-righteous, and maybe it is. But one thing I know is that I want to be a writer. Getting married isn't going to change that. Actually, for my own personal reasons, I think getting married will help me become a writer. The writer I want to be.

I've been thinking a lot about my writing lately. I don't think I'm going to be doing a whole lot of it while I'm trying to plan a wedding and go to school full-time at the same time. But I'll do my best to blog as often as I can, and after I get married, I plan on doing much more writing--both on the blog and off it.

That's also why I didn't finish my summer reading, but I'm pretty proud of myself for the few books I did get read, considering I was going to school full-time all summer and also, obviously, getting engaged. But I'm hoping to get the rest of them read soon enough.

See you soon (I hope)!

No comments:

Post a Comment